We are expecting a heat wave this weekend and you might not want to spend it at the beach or at the shopping center. Wondering how you can save energy while keeping yourself cool at home? Here are 5 tips to keep yourself cool at home during a heat wave:
- Unplug heat producing electronics such as appliances or computer equipment.
- Use stand or ceiling fans to circulate the air while you are in the room. Make sure to turn them off when you leave the room.
- Keep your windows shut and curtains closed. Don’t turn on lights, especially fluorescent lights.
- Don’t use the stove. Eat cold or microwaveable foods instead.
- Close doors to rooms to keep the air inside and if you live in a two-story home.
These are just a few ways you can enjoy the comfort of your home during a heat wave while saving energy. Additionally, stay hydrated by drinking water and staying away from alcohol. Also, don’t forget to take care of the elderly, children, and pets.